Hagbourne St Andrews, Berkshire. By Andrew Mathewson [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.
I have recently become aware, that there were Brooker families, including John Brookers born circa 1722 in the parish of Hagbourne, only 5 km / 3 miles by road, from Long Wittenham, where my ancestor john Brooker, married to a Mary, fathered several children between 1749 and 1760. I'm here collating evidence and data. The problem is that there are TWO candidates for my direct ancestor in the same parish. One baptised 1721 (the son of widower, Elizabeth Brooker (nee Fox), and the late John Brooker), the other 1722 (son of John and Ursula Brooker (nee Deadman). I have to somehow decide which one it is, if either. Both families may descend from a Thomas and Anne Brooker, that were in the village, married before 1662.
Hagbourne Parish Register Transcript CD-ROM OXF-WAL02
- 1679 15 Jun BROOKER Thomas to HIDE Lettice
- 1694 6 Oct BRUCKER John to HEWS Martha
- 1698 12 Nov BRUCKER Lawrance to WOODLEY Anne
- 1700 5 Jun HOLDER John Aston Upthorpe to BRUCKER Mary widow
- 1714 20 Jun JONES Edward to BROOKER Mary
- 1716 24 Feb BROOKER John to DEADMAN Ursula
- 1720 27 Nov BROOKER John to FOX Elizabeth
- 1721 3 Sep CHILD Luke to BROOKER Anne
- 1728 23 Feb BROOKER John to ACRES Sarah
- 1662 Apr 1 BROOKER John s. Thomas & Anne
- 1667 Sep 3 BROOKER Anne d. Thomas & Anne
- 1673 11 BROOKER William s. Thomas & Anne
- 1679 Apr 5 BROOKER Marie d. Thomas & Anne
- 1680 Aug 8 BROOKER Marie d. Thomas & Lettice
- 1696 May 21 BRUCKER Anne d. Thomas & Lettice
- 1712 18 BRUCKER John (no parents!)
- 1714 18 BRUCKER Anne d. William & Elizabeth
- 1714 24 BRUCKER Martha (no parents)
- 1718 May 4 BROOKER Mary d. John & Ursula
- 1719 Jan 3 BROOKER Elizabeth d. John & Ursula
- 1721 Oct 21 BROOKER John s. Elizabeth widow
- 1722 Dec 2 BROOKER John s. John & Ursula
- 1725 Oct 24 BROOKER William s. John & Ursula
- 1730 Dec 13 BROOKER William s. John & Ursula
BURIALS (FindMyPast Berkshire Burial Index)
- 30 Mar 1721 John Brooker St Andrews, Hagbourne (appears to be late husband of Elizabeth Fox?)
- 12 May 1745 John Brooker St Andrew, Hagbourne
- 4 jun 1783 John Brooker St Andrew Hagbourne
MARRIAGES (FindMyPast England Marriages 1538-1973)
23 Feb 1728 John Brooker to Sarah Acres, Hagbourne.
MARRIAGES (FindMyPast Sarum Marriage Licence)
02 Oct 1745 John Brooker to Ann Dearlough at Blewbury. grooms parish Hagbourne.
Likely founder is Thomas Brooker & Anne married before 1662, OR Thomas Brooker that married Lettice Hide 1679, OR John Brucker and Martha Hews that married Oct 1694.
Both John Seniors (circa 1695) could have been grandchildren of Thomas & Anne Brooker. One, son of Thomas & Lettice. The other of John & Martha.
John Senior 1 married Elizabeth Fox in Nov 1720. He died Mar 1721! She gave birth to son John Junior 1 in Oct 1721.
John Senior 2 married Ursula Deadman in Feb 1716. They had children between 1718 and 1730 - Mary, Elizabeth, William (x2), and son John junior 2 in Dec 1722. He may have died May 1745.
Surviving in village was a John Brooker that married Ann Dearlough Oct 1745. Junior 1 or 2?
My John Brooker had children at Long Wittenham 1749 - 1760 with his wife mary (married circa 1748?) Included a Martha, Anne, John, Sarah, and Mary. Junior 1 or 2?
- Gen 11: Thomas & Anne (mar. before 1662) Did the same Thomas later marry Lettice?
- Gen 10: John (b. 1662. Mar. 1694 to Martha) John (mar Ursula 1716), John (mar Elizabeth 1720), William (b. 1673.)
- Gen 9: John 1 (b 1721 John & Elizabeth) John 2 (b 1722 John & Ursula) William (John & Ursula 1725)
I need to see marriages of all John seniors (1694, 1716, 1720). Two could have been same guy (2nd as widower). I do think there were two John Seniors, because John & Ursula had kids contemporary to John & Elizabeth. Martha could have died, replaced by Elizabeth?
A member of the Facebook Berks and Bucks Ancestors and Genealogy Group, dug up the burial of Junior 1. Widow Elizabeth's young son tragically died, and was buried at Hagbourne 12th January 1723.
Now can I tie Junior 2 (son of John Brooker and Ursula (nee Deadman) to my ancestor, John Brooker, married to Mary, at Long Wittenham?